I've begun doing my low poly block out of the scene and some rough lighting/mood. I spent some time playing with the new UE4.16 volumetric fog, but still need a bit more time to understand it fully.
I've blocked out the majority of the shapes, but I'm still working on the layout for the foliage and some minor set dressing detail. I also decided to make the focal point of the garden a sakura blossom tree. I felt like the garden was missing something without it. I want to add falling petals, and petals on the ground.
Everything in the scene is for the most part built in a modular way. The trim detail, walls, etc. For my next step in the process I need to figure out proper UVing to make sure that textures will tile correctly and seamless.
I have also blocked out my mountain shapes with proxies from World Machine, but I would like to refine their shapes too look more like the mountains found at Wulingyuan.
I also used a bit of Marvelous Designer to block out simple curtains, sheets, rugs, etc. Which you'll see in the screenshots below.
Again, this is a two month project for me. My next step in the process will be to finish blocking out the foliage and start high res on the assets. I think I would like to focus on the tree and bell and from there work on whatever asset is most important or most commonly seen. I would also like to begin doing rough Substance Designer materials to test out my UVs on the modular floor and walls.
I also did very BASIC water just to get a little motion in the scene.
My current progress: