Tuesday, November 1, 2016

2D Week 10: Group Project Concept Discovery in 3D - Team Tinman

This week we're continuing on with the Wizard of Oz project and experimenting with different methods of research.

Team Members:
Will Perez-Valines
Boo Roseman
Kay Ghering
Yan Chen
Connor Hollis


For this week our team broke into smaller teams that focused on different aspects of the project. Yan and Kay were responsible for researching different Tech Art related issues (Yan focused on particles and the god rays for this week, Kay focused on interactivity). Boo and Will focused on the Tinman character and Connor and I focused on the environment.

First Boo and Will did renders of our Tinman proxy from last week using the method Nick showed us on his blog.

Will's Render

Will's  Render

Boo's Render



From there they did draw overs to improve his silhouette:

Will's Draw Over

Will's Draw Over
Boo's Draw Over


Will then combined designs from both his and Boo's draw overs as one new design:

Will's Draw Over


Boo then went ahead and tweaked her proxy from last week to match the new draw overs that Will did:

Boo's Proxy

Boo's Tinman Proxys






I used the same method to tweak some of our set dressing based off of Nick's critiques from last week:

My Draw Over

My Draw Over

I then fixed those models in Maya:

My Model

My Model

My Model


I also added two new pieces of set dressing, split logs and grass:

My Set Dressing

My Set Dressing


I then did a few simple draw overs on top of some screenshots from our environment to help envision things a little better:

My Draw Over

My Draw Over

My Draw Over

Will and I experimented with using the toon lines on the face tree and did some draw overs as well:

My Draw Over

My Draw Over
Will's Draw Over

Will's Draw Over

Will's Draw Over

Will's Sketches


Connor took those and remodeled the face tree to match the new concepts a bit better:

Connor's Proxy

Connor's Proxy in Engine

Connor's Proxy in our test scene






He also went and investigated the toon line process on the face tree for himself:

Connor's Test




Yan created a new god ray material and and looked at it in VR:

Yan's God Ray

Yan's God Ray
 Yan also created some dust particles:

Yan's Dust Particles



Kay went and tested interactivity so that the player can now pick up and move certain objects:

Kay's Blueprint in UE4





















Kay's Mushroom that can be picked up

No comments:

Post a Comment